Tuesday, October 17, 2006

29 and my life passing before my eyes..... Part III

Another hospital..... new nurses......new doctor.......no idea what is wrong with me

Its amazing how much difference a smile and a laugh from the nurses can ease your troubled mind, well for a little while anyway. This hopsital feels so much more comfortable that the last.

Hooked up to the heart monitor, waiting for the doctor. Waiting, waiting, waiting........ It's amazing how slow time can pass, every minute really does seem an hour. A nurse drops in periodically to check on me and to let me know the cardiologist will be down soon.

An hour passes, and then some more, before a nurse and two orderlies come in and tell me i'm being moved to the Cath lab to see the cardiologist. The sides of the bed are pulled up, the heart monitor attached to the side, helmut on and we're ready to go........ expecting to be sped down the hallway at lightning speed. Yeah right! Lying prone on your back while being pushed through narrow corridors is a rather weird feeling, light fittings on the ceiling flashing past and sounds all around - surprisingly disorientating stuff!

Arrive at the Cath lab, the nurse ducks off to find the doctor, and returns to sheepishly tell me that we're in the wrong place, and off we go to Cardiac Central (the name made me chuckle for some reason).

At Cardiac Central, its like a ghost town. An older lady in a suit directs us to a room, where i'm transferred to a different bed and asked to lie on my side. The nurse that accompanied me asks where the nurse is to handover, and is abruptly told that there ain't no nurses in the ward. Has everyone in Cardiac Central had a heart attack and passed on?? A quick phonecall and the nurse is staying to keep me company, funnily enough I find this reassuring. I'm waiting for an echo to be performed - kinda like an ultrasound to look at my heart.

After 5 hours, two hospitals and four ambulance crews, the cardiologist arrives. He's wearing a blue jumpsuit which makes him look comical. Handsome looking guy, i think my friend Liesel would drool over him. He listens to my heart with his stethescope, and confirms that I have a fantastic murmur...... so far so good.

He lubes up the echo probe and pushes it against my chest - on the screen via the magic of modern science we are able to see my heart beating - damn strongly I might add! Watching your own heart beat is absolutely fascinating, but rather morbid at the same time - i can't take my eyes off the screen though. He turns the volume up and THE murmur fills the room. It sounds like a whoosh and a gurgle, kind of like that last bit of water draining out of a sink.

End of Part III

Next - the verdict

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home