Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The verdict

drum roll.......

The cardiologist is straight to the point. You've got a faulty mitral valve in the left ventricle, its not closing properly. He shows me the echo on the screen and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what he is talking about. Two semi-circular flaps are opening and closing upon each other - but one looks a bit floppy and isn't completely closing. You can see the blood flowing back into the ventricle when it is supposed to be closed, causing the whoosh/murmur everyone has been listening to.

Is it genetic I ask? Is it because I am a fat lazy bastard? Bad luck he says, just pure bad luck. It either has always been there, or I have always had a propensity to develop it. Knowing that being lazy hasn't caused this, nor my diet of fried chicken and alcohol makes me relieved for some reason.

Up until now everything has been a blur - this doesn't make much sense since I have spent five hours lying on my arse on a bed with nothing to do but think about it. Lucky for the guys who kept me company all day - thanks guys I love you!

The cardiologist makes some notes on my echo into his dictogram, and then we're off to his office to discuss. He's not one to play games - we're going to have to repair the valve, and its major bypass surgery. Ok now i am TOTALLY freaked!!

He keeps talking but i'm not really listening. He says that I should be ok to keep doing everything that I am doing now - eat the same food, breathe the same air, just don't exert too much. There goes the sex!! Or maybe i'll just take it lying down! haha He prescribes some meds for me, blood pressure tablets to take some pressure off my heart and diuretics to help drain some fluid off my lungs and then we're off to reception to book in for a cardiogram and oesophageal echocardiogram to carefully examine my heart as preparation for the surgery.

At reception the doctor organises the procedures - he is not mucking around. I'm booked in for Wednesday, two days from now!

So here I am, 29 years old and my life passing before my eyes..... open heart surgery - SHIT!! I've got a feeling that this is going to be one hell of a rollercoaster ride........

2 Comments:

Blogger JoyJoy said...

Oo... Please dont mention s** I dont even want to think about you and s** and who you are doing it with!! YIKES... Need to get that image out of my head! HELP!!!!!

3:07 AM  
Blogger C'est la vie!! said...

I just stumbled into your blog...interesting...so up to this point u had not been told u had a murmur?? For some reason I thought murmurs were found around the teen years....

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home