Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Post Hosp Day Twenty-Three Update: Spoke Too Soon

Seems like I spoke too soon! Today was my worst nightmare come true!

Went to the doctors surgery to have my blood test - I'm still having them every three or four days because my warfarin dosage hasn't settled yet. I wait the customary thirty minutes in the waiting room (despite making appointments for a 5 minute blood test, they're always thirty minutes late!). The nurse finally comes to get me, and takes my blood. NOT!

She inserts the needle, and instead of a small prick, it is intense, excruciating pain! It really really %^$&#%^ HURTS! Seems that because my arms have become pin cushions from so many blood tests, the veins have scarred over and she was trying to take blood from a scar area. She tries again in another part of the vein - and again intense, sharp, horrible PAIN!! I feel light headed and dizzy like i'm going to faint again. The nurse gets me to lie down. I feel sick.

After five minutes the nurse tries taking blood from my other arm. She's a bit nervous, and so am I! You can cut the air with a knife. She gets it ok, but it hurts a little bit more than usual. And then i'm running out the door, sweating like crazy! I hate bloodtests!

Footnote: One hour later and the first hole she made in my vein is still bleeding!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry about your health.... I know that you are scared...And I know this may be easy to say and harder to do- but don't worry..... Sometimes we all get an unexpected curve ball thrown our way.. It's all in how we *duck and dive baby*
Do you pray? Perhaps if you wanted to it will help ease your fears. If not- I will for you..

Keep in touch- especially if you want to talk, vent, cry.....
You arent alone.
callie
aolani_06@yahoo.com

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home