Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Afternoon Snack Surprise

After a heavy day of trying not to over-exert myself (which was funnily enough pretty exhausting), it was time for an afternoon snack before heading home. What’s on the menu? Oysters!

We’re back at the oyster farm, and there are three or four other groups of people oystering away. The owner is surprised to see us again, and jokes that he doesn’t want to serve us! After a bit of banter, he relents and we have a dozen oysters naturale to eat now, and a dozen unshucked to take home for the parents. While we’re eating, he’s telling other customers about our oyster eating antics. Given that most people are eating a dozen at most, I guess it’s understandable that our tally of 6 dozen oysters yesterday seems gigantic! The oysters are so good and within minutes they’re gone. Yvette and I look at each other, and in a couple of seconds we have another dozen oysters to devour. I joke that we must be his biggest customers this weekend, which to our surprise the owner replies that in fact we actually aren’t. I’m quite disappointed, until he tells us that the other group that have eaten more than us were a group of ten people! So per person, we’re still on top. After a final friendly chat with the owner, we’re off back home.

We only get a couple of hundred meters down the road when I realise that we have to turn back, because I want to buy a shucking knife – I’m sick of using butter knives to open oysters at home. I get back to the oyster farm, and the owner asks me in disbelief what I’m doing back. In fact, he shouts at me as soon as I get out of the car! I tell him I want another 5 dozen oysters. The customers in the window who he is currently serving are shocked when he tells them that we’ve eaten 9 dozen oysters in a day. I think he is relieved when I tell him I’m joking, and I just want an oyster knife. Transaction completed, we say our goodbyes for the final time. I like these guys, I’ll be back again for sure after my surgery.

Final oyster tally, Rog – 63 ½ oysters. Yvette – 34 ½ oysters.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all oystered out! Even though it's not me going for surgery, I don't think I'll be eating oysters for the next 3 months either.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home