Saturday, November 04, 2006

Comfort food

Been watching lots of Jamie Oliver lately, as he is opening a new Fifteen restaurant in Melbourne. I actually really enjoy his style of cooking, but is it just me or does the guy swear a lot?? I mean, I think he swears more in five minutes that I do in a year! The thing I like about his cooking is that its guylike, you know, no precise measuring – more like a handful of this, and a dash of that. Good tasty, hearty food. But I’m also thinking that hey it can’t be that hard to be a TV chef. You know, I think that after my surgery when I change careers, I might consider becoming a TV chef. I can see my name lit up on the tv screen now, “Rog’s Kitchen”. I mean it really can’t be that hard. Can it?

Today I’m gonna cook a simple comfort food, for those days when you’re at home, veging out in front of the TV and you want something quick, easy and tasty to eat. I’m too lazy to go shopping for food, so I’m just using what’s in the kitchen. My ingredients: some light wheat bread (great because it is wafer thin and goes nice and crunchy when toasted), hot chilli sauce, thinly sliced onion and mushroom, some fresh baby spinach from the garden (chopped into approx 1 inch pieces), and some grated tasty cheddar cheese. I’m also going to use a sandwich grill (because its quick), but you can use the oven if you want.



1) So first of all, lay a sheet of the wheat bread on top of the sandwich press. Spread the chilli sauce thinly over the top.





2) Sprinkle the onion and mushroom over, and then pack the spinach on top. Pack it nice and high – when it cooks it’ll shrink down.





3) Cover with the grated cheese and some freshly ground pepper






4) Put the lid of the grill down, so that its just above the food, and cook for about 2 minutes (or until the cheese and spinach are nice and cooked)




5) The finished product.






It looks and smells terrific. As Jamie would say, “it’s @*&*%$@! great!” And it seriously tastes good, have it with a nice cold beer! And the best thing, Yvette will do the dishes when she gets home from work tonight! :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home