Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A glass and a half


The worst thing about this whole situation is not knowing when the surgery is going to be. I can fully understand why the hospital can't set a date for my surgery, but instead will give me a weeks notice. But it's hard to put life on hold indefinitely. And the waiting is killing me.

However, in the meantime, I am making good use of my time to prepare for the surgery. Mum has mixed up an ancient Chinese concoction made from boiling roots and plums. It looks like the colour of tea, and tastes somewhat similar. It's supposed to "heal my breath". Sounds like a breathmint to me! My breath isn't that bad, is it??

Everyone has warned me that I can't catch a cold. This actually makes sense, gonna be hard to recover from chest surgery if I am coughing and sneezing all the time. I wonder if i'll cough and sneeze under general anaesthetic during the surgery as well?? So i'm taking vitamin C tablets every day.

I'm also concerned about the whole cracking my ribs to get to my heart scenario. To counter this, I have started drinking a glass of milk everyday - gonna get my calcium load up to heal my bones after the surgery. I was allergic to cow's milk when I was young, and was given goat's milk (really really gross - scarred for life) or soy milk instead. Luckily, I have gradually grown out of my milk allergy. However, it means that I never learnt how to drink a glass of milk - it's a very Australian thing to do, but I just can't do it. After one sip I feel sick. I wanna mix something with it to make it taste better - Quik strawberry or banana would be great. Maybe make a hot chocolate. Kahlua and milk, on ice, would be lush! But then I guess it won't be the same. I battle my way through 3/4 of the glass of milk. Not bad for day one.

1 Comments:

Blogger JoyJoy said...

Try the Black & Green Organic Hot Chocolate - absolutely decadent!! Slurp!
Or melt a small bar of the organic choc in a mug of hot frothy milk. YUM!

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home