Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Eehk Factor

Rog wanted me to write a post about a particular post-op event but he didn't quite know just how to word it. I'm not sure I know how to either. So I'll just write it the way he tells me.

"You know, I'm a regular kinda guy. It's like clockwork everyday - in I go, do it and I'm out again. Takes no more than a few minutes each time."

"But now," Rog says, scrunching his face, "it's taking forever. I've already been in three times today. I sit there for 10 minutes and nothing happens."

"So you can't go? If you can't, you can't. You shouldn't force it. It's the drugs that's stopping it," I put in my two cents worth.

"Yeah, everyone says don't strain, don't force it. I really feel like going, its there... but I'm scared if I strain my stitches will open!

"I don't know how hard to push. Should I go 'eehk' or 'eeeeeehk'??" Rog says, half squatting-half bowlegging to demonstrate as he speaks.

At this point, I look at my delicious chocolate biscuit I was munching on, suddenly it doesn't look so delicious anymore.

"It's not like there's a scale of 1 to 10 of how hard to strain. I can't get a nurse to come in and tell me if I'm pushing hard enough or not..."

Rog is visibly distressed. He doesn't like not being able to go. Initially, on Post-Op Day 2, he was very ambitious and asked for a bedpan. The nurse wasn't surprised when nothing happened (he called it stagefright) because the drugs prevent that particular bodily function. Post-Op Day 3, freed from all his tubes, he leapt out of bed and dashed to the loo. But still no success.

Finally, after four long days, mission accomplished. "And it was a big one too!" Rog said. Luckily it didn't cause a blockage or overflow - has been known to happen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I may now understand why Yvette is with Rog - he thinks and talks and behaves like some members of Yvette's extended family... Glad to know that no blockage or "overflowtage" was caused during the process - Yes, it has been known to happen.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home