Saturday, November 11, 2006

P.O.P. Rehabilitating my Body

Next we meet the physiotherapist. She looks young, not a day older than 23! She’s not the first to ask if I am a patient, and she probably won’t be the last. She also has a booming voice. She explains the exercise regime that is going to be placed upon us. We practise breathing techniques (it really is becoming a pregnancy class!), and arm, leg and trunk exercises. The exercises are designed so that we don’t put pressure on our chest, which normally happens when we use our arms. So we learn how to clench our butt cheeks, and wiggle our bums from the back of the seat to the front edge without using our arms. Our physiotherapist jokes that girls tend to be better at the latter – I think from my experiences I’d agree with that! :o)

We also learn that our best friend for the next week is going to be Mr Teddy. He’s not actually a teddybear, but a small pillow that we will be given. We are to hold it close to our chest with both arms crossed over it whenever we try and move our bodies, or cough, or laugh, so that we make sure that we don’t place strain on our chest. The idea of a group of eight grown men walking down hospital corridors hugging their pillows tightly amuses me!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea using your blog to help you through this your recovery. I think a photo of you 'teddy huggers' would be a great addition to your Blog-site!.
If I ever need cardiac surgery, I'll be sure to look you up.
Best of Canadian luck...Cheers, JM

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home