Sunday, October 22, 2006

Green eggs and ham

It's breakfast time. Oh what shall I eat this fine morning? I look in the fridge, and find a dozen eggs. Yum. I'm gonna have eggs for breakfast. I feel particularly ravenous, I think i'll have three or four. Instantly, as if I am pre-programmed like a robot, alarm bells start ringing in my head. I can't have more than 2 eggs a day! It was one of those warnings that my mum gave us when we were little kids (and even now!). I've always wondered where the fact is behind these myths our mothers spin us boys when we are little. It's like the don't flick rubberbands around, you'll take someone's eye out myth. And all moms seem to have the same myths to tell their sons - I wonder if there is a Universal book of myths that mothers receive when they give birth to a boy??
Back to eggs. I ignore mum's warning and take four eggs out of the fridge. I wonder what will happen if I have four eggs in a day? Visions of me sprouting chicken wings, and my legs turning into drumsticks, fill my mind. But how to eat them? A crazy poem comes together in my mind:

One egg is fine,
Poached, boiled or fried.
Two eggs is better,
Mum's rule i'll abide.
With three eggs I think,
that scrambled they'll be.
But four eggs I have,
so it'll be benedict for me.

Ok, it's pretty clear I am going crazy at home on my own! I can't wait to go back to the real world tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home