Sunday, November 12, 2006

Information Folder

The Heartbeat association of volunteers have provided me with a folder of information for heart surgery. It contains booklets about heart surgery, the surgery team, information about the heart and such, and a booklet about rehabilitation. Two things of note:

The first page I turn to is headed "When will I be able to resume sexual activity?". It seems that it will be four weeks until heart surgery patients can resume such activities, and even then the behaviour has to be modified. Quite simply, foreplay is out, and the patient is reduced to lying on their back. My cousin is an occupational therapist, and during lunch she tells me that one of her major jobs is helping people resume sexual activity - and confirms that this basically involves informing older people about sexual positions, level of activity etc. My poor cuz! haha

The other thing I learn from the information booklets is that the expected duration of hospital stay is 4-8 days. The begs the challenge - can I recover and get out of hospital 4 days after surgery? I float the idea with a few people, who aren't particularly receptive. They all recommend very strongly that I take it easy. As if i'm not going to, it's my heart we're talking about after all! Having said all of that, I decide that taking necessary care and rest, I am going to try and be back at home in 4 days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home